Tuesday, May 13: Speeches are due to PAIA office (215 Eggers) by 3pm
Wednesday, May 14: PAIRA e-board will review and invite finalists to audition
Friday, May 16: Auditions and selection of speaker (keep your calendar clear for this date)
Goal/Direction for Welcome Speaker: This will be a brief 1-2 minute address. The committee will designate one of the Bradley K. Howell Student Address finalists to deliver this address.
Goal/Direction for Bradley K. Howell Student Address: The convocation speech should strive to inspire and motivate. The content should be relevant, encouraging and memorable for all graduates and guests at the ceremony. While there is no specific theme, the address may include reflections on the mission, vision and/or values of Maxwell or translate the speaker’s academic, professional or personal experiences into a clear, compelling message.
Selection Process and Ground Rules:
- The individual delivering the convocation speech must be graduating the MPA program this year by July 1, 2014. If you are unclear about this condition, please confirm with the PA office.
- Your speech should be read between 5 – 7 minutes.
- Submit an anonymous hard copy to the PA office with SU ID number on each page by 3pm on Tuesday, May 13.
- Selection process: The commission will conduct a double blind review using the Speaker Evaluation Criteria below.
- Once finalists are chosen, there will be speak-off in front of the Convocation Committee.
- Committee members will not be considered as candidates to deliver either speech.
- Clear and compelling message / theme (40%)
- Organization (25%)
- Creativity (25%)
- Style and usage (10%)